Tips for cleaning window blinds, verticals and shutters
Frequency of cleaning window blinds, verticals and shutters
How often should cleaning window blinds, verticals, and shutters take place? Well, the answer varies depending on who you ask. There are many factors to take into account when planning your window covering cleaning and maintenance. Frequency of cleaning window blinds, verticals, and shutters depends on the following:
- Indoor Air Quality
- Persons with Allergies
For high traffic homes, it is recommended to clean window coverings at least bi monthly with deep cleanings every season. If there are allergy suffers in the home, or indoor smokers you will want to further increase the frequency of cleanings. Neglecting window covering cleanings will work against preserving your custom window treatments and make it increasingly more difficult to clean when you eventually come around to it. The more you clean your window coverings, the easier each cleaning will be.
Cleaning tips for real wood blinds and shutters
- Only use furniture oil or polish for cleaning real wood shutters and blinds
- Use furniture oil and polish sparingly and gently on a delicate microfiber cloth to clean window treatments. Clean blinds or shutters like you are dusting them
- Never saturate real wood window coverings with water
- If the blinds are exceptionally dirty use a delicate cleaner diluted in water with a soft microfiber cloth. Then wipe each shutter or blind clean with a damp soft cloth immediately drying each blind with a dry microfiber cloth.
Cleaning tips for aluminum, vinyl, & faux wood blinds and shutters
You have the option of hand dusting or vacuuming these blinds. Typically, vacuuming tends to be a bit easier as it is faster.
- Hand Dusting: Using a feather duster or microfiber sock treated with a dusting spray works wonderfully. Simply close the blinds and shutters, and start from top to bottom then rotate slats and repeat.
- Vacuum: Using a soft brush attachment, simply close the blinds and shutters, and start from top to bottom then rotate slats and repeat.
- Extremely Soiled Blinds: Remove blinds or shutters from windows and soak for 10 minutes in a bath with three parts water and one part white vinegar with a splash of mild detergent. Then wipe down with microfiber cloth. Rinse and lay or hang to dry.
Cleaning tips for vertical blinds
Hand dusting and vacuuming work well for cleaning vertical blinds.
- Clean slats from the top to the bottom
- Spot clean with warm water, mild detergent and a microfiber cloth
- For excessively dirty vertical blinds, protect floors before cleaning
Keeping your window blinds, verticals, and shutters clean year round takes effort through regular cleanings. It is recommended that you seek professional cleaning services seasonally to ensure the preservation of your custom created window coverings. When your window blinds, verticals, and shutters are regularly and thoroughly cleaned, your home is sure to sparkle!