Energy Efficient Window Coverings
Windows are a major part of your home, and they can play a big role in energy efficiency. It’s even estimated that around 30% of a building’s thermal energy is lost through the windows! Using energy-efficient window coverings can help you conserve energy and save money on utility bills over time.
There are a lot of window covering options on the market, from blinds to drapes to awnings. But, with so many options to choose from, how can you determine which types are best at insulating? One tip is to look at the product’s R-value, which is a number ranging from 0.9 to 3.0 that indicates how much heat the covering resists. Generally speaking, higher numbers correlate to better insulating power.
To help you get started on your search for the best window coverings for your home, the experts at Accent Verticals have also created a list of the most energy-efficient options to choose from.
Interior Window Coverings
As their name suggests, interior window coverings are intended to be installed indoors. Interior coverings are pretty common, and they are usually easier to install and operate than exterior options. Here are some of the most energy-efficient blinds and coverings for your home’s interior:
- Insulated cellular shades. These coverings are specifically designed to insulate homes and prevent heat loss. They are made using layers of fabric, some of which use a honeycomb pattern to create a layer of insulating air. These shades usually have a very high R-value and are effective at reducing heat loss or gain.
- Window quilts. Quilt coverings are made using thick fabric, and they are usually fitted snugly into the window. Thanks to the thicker material, window quilts generally offer a higher R-value and are effective at protecting against heat loss or gain. That said, they can be more challenging to operate, and they usually let in less light while closed.
- Venetian blinds. Also called louvered blinds, these coverings consist of vertical slats that can be adjusted to control light levels and glare. While they may not be the most efficient in retaining heat, they can help you take advantage of natural light while preventing solar heat gain.
- Curtains and drapes. Curtains are designed to fit your window snugly, while drapes usually drop all the way to the floor. Both coverings, however, can reduce heat loss and block sunlight. You can also layer these options to increase their energy efficiency.
- Window films. Unlike other window covering options, films are applied directly to the glazing. They are designed to protect against UV exposure, which can prevent your home from heating up in the sun. Films may also be a good choice for people who want to protect their belongings, such as artwork or furniture, from fading in UV light.
Exterior Window Coverings
Exterior window coverings may be more challenging to install, but they can improve energy efficiency while updating the look of your home. Here are some of the most energy-efficient exterior window coverings:
- Awnings above the window. Awnings are small canopy-like shelters that are placed above windows or entryways. They are effective at blocking rays from the sun, and they are often used to as a stylish accent for a home or building. While they can prevent heat gain, they are usually ineffective against heat loss.
- Exterior shutters and shades. These window coverings come in a wide variety of styles and materials. Most can be manually opened or closed to block light and increase privacy. Similar to awnings, exterior shutters and shades are generally most effective in preventing heat gain.
- Exterior solar window screens. Exterior solar window screens are specifically designed to prevent thermal gain from the sun. They are usually made using a woven mesh material and are generally fitted. Despite their darker appearance, they are generally still easy to see through.
Your Local Window Coverings Experts
While this list can help you begin searching for energy-efficient blinds and window coverings, we understand how challenging it can be to find the right fit for your home. After all, there are hundreds of design and customization options available within each category!
Fortunately, you’re not alone; the professionals at Accent Verticals are prepared to help you find the perfect window coverings for your style, needs, and budget. Our knowledgeable experts have been serving the greater Portland OR area for over 30 years, and we always go the extra mile to make sure you love the final results. Just give us a call to get started!
- Free In-Home Measuring
- Free Financing Plans
- Lifetime Service Warranties
- 30+ Years Design Expertise