How to Choose the Right Window Treatments
When most people think of window treatments, they probably only consider the practical benefits – such as adding privacy, blocking out light, and helping with insulation. However, the right window treatment can completely transform your house by adding a personal touch to each room. Selecting the right option for you can boost your home’s charm while adding functionality.
That said, there are hundreds of window treatments on the market to choose from – so, how do you choose the right one for you? The first step is knowing about the different kinds available. Most window treatments will fall into one of these categories:
- Blinds typically consist of hard slats made from materials such as wood, vinyl, or plastic. They are attached to the top of the window using a rod or frame, and they can be lifted or adjusted.
- Curtains are made using fabric panels that are larger than the window, but not floor-length. The fabric is usually lightweight, and the panels attach to the window using a rod or frame.
- Drapes are often considered to be the most formal of the options. Drapes hang from rods or frames and are generally made using thick, floor-length fabric panels.
- Shades are similar to blinds, but are made using fabric instead of hard slats. Shades use a lifting mechanism, and they typically roll or bunch up when raised.
- Valances only cover the top part of the window, so they are often paired with other types of window treatments. They are typically made from fabric, and are used to conceal any window hardware.
Tips for Choosing the Right Window Treatment
Knowing about the different types of window treatments is just the first step in selecting the best option for your needs. There are also a lot of personal factors to keep in mind. To help guide your search, here are some tips for choosing the right window treatment for you:
- Consider your budget. Different types of window treatments come with different price tags. Deciding on a price range can help you narrow down your options early on.
- Look at the space around the window. If a window is tucked in a corner or beneath curved ceilings, a rod may not fit properly. Looking at the room can help you determine what kinds of treatments will work with your window.
- Decide on a length. Choosing a length can be an aesthetic decision, but it’s also important to remember functionality. Long drapes may not be practical for heavily trafficked areas of the home, and they are less convenient to open or close regularly.
- Contemplate your aesthetic preferences. Now’s the fun part! Think about your style and make a list of the materials or design options that you are drawn to. Referring back to this list as you shop can help you choose a window treatment that fits your look.
Your Local Design Experts
Selecting the right window treatment for you can be a daunting task. That’s why the expert designers at Accent Verticals are ready to help! Since 1986, our specialists have helped homeowners in the Portland OR and Vancouver WA area select the perfect window coverings for their needs. We take a look at everything, from your budget and aesthetics to your lifestyle and functionality needs. Call us today to get started with choosing the best window treatment for you!